This will be my first posting of this year, 2013! I was inspired by a note from someone at the place I work:
I have loosely based this recipe on my workplace recipe, which I guess brought someone to full enlightenment. :) I hope my own recipe will do the same for everyone who tries it! Good luck and enjoy. Please feel free to make comments, suggestions, additions or subtractions.
This was my first try, but I liked it a lot.
Here is the recipe:
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
2 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. whole black pepper corns
2 Tbl. whole cardamon pods
4 freshly sliced ginger coins
4 cups water
2 cups milk or milk alternative: soy, hemp, rice etc. milks (I used unsweetened almond milk). If you use a milk alternative and it is sweetened, please adjust your amount of sweetener at the end.
1/4 cup loose black tea or 4 bags of black tea
1/4 cup brown sugar, or sweetener of your choice (feel free to use less)
I bought a lot of my spices at a local Indian market. It was great because I could get a bulk amount for a low price:
1) Place the first 6 ingredients and 4 cups of cold water in a pot or sauce pan.
2) Bring to a boil.
3) Reduce to a simmer for 20-40 minutes.
4) Remove from heat and add loose black tea.
5) Let sit for 4-5 minutes.
NOTE: IF YOU LEAVE THE TEA IN TOO LONG IT WILL GET BITTER
6) Warm milk or milk alternative in a separate pot.
7) Strain water and spices into a bowl.
8) Add milk or milk alternative to strained spice water.
9) Whisk in sweetener and adjust to desired sweetness.